My Super Ate in the Teaching Family



Teaching profession does not only revolve on teaching itself; it is linked to a variety of tasks and responsibilities as a whole. Duties and responsibilities that go beyond from your set outcomes or expectations. It was last year when I was hired in the same institution where I had my undergraduate studies. I was given an advisory class in my first year of teaching. 

Everything was still fine and manageable until the month of July came. The Nutri-Jingle competition was one of the highlight events in the celebration of Nutrition Month; however, it was still working fine. My pupils were able to perform it during the culmination day and placed the Grade 4 Sinulog as the fourth runner-up, which I considered not bad at all. 

The month of August was next; it's the celebration of Buwan ng Wika again. My pupils participated and excel in different events, which made me happy, but my happiness was succumbed by a tremendous beat inside upon knowing that there will be a cultural dance competition, which will be participated by the entire class. I felt so weary when our dear principal mentioned that trainers are NOT allowed. A lot of questions already running inside of my head, "How can I do this? I'm not good at dancing. How am I going to explain this to the parents and to the pupils?" I was getting paranoid and very anxious by that time. I felt that I was out of myself from that very moment until one of my colleagues poked me and said, "Helloooooo? What's wrong?"

She laughed at me in a very humiliating and intimidating manner. I frankly said to her that I couldn’t really do dancing. After hearing the announcement, I was bombarded every day to the mere thought that I should start learning how to dance even the basics but my system would just refuse. I have tried a lot of things like watching videos over the internet. The dance steps seemed to be very basic and simple to follow but when I let myself do it, I couldn't even make a single step perfectly. I was frustrated and depressed knowing that the day of the culmination was fast approaching. I knew my pupils were aware already that I couldn't be able to teach them well in dancing. 

All of the sudden, my frowned face transformed into something brighter and happier when one of my colleagues who did not have any advisory class voluntarily offered to teach the kids all the steps throughout the dance. She told me that I'll take charge for the everyday practice until they will master the steps after she introduced them the steps and movements, and she'll just do some little help in polishing the dance before the final competition. Everything was working very well, and I realized how lucky I am to have Teacher April, whom I consider my older sister in the faculty, a friend that I can truly lean on. Without her, I do not know if what would be the fate of my class on that time.

Last day of August, it was now the day of judgment. I was the master of the ceremony then, so I cannot really monitor my class. As expected, it was Teacher April again who took good care of my class. The end part of the program came as well as the announcement of winners, which was done by me. It was somehow like surprising because I did not highly expect the result to be something good as it was. We got the third place in that competition and I was already on the cloud nine while broadcasting the result of the competition.
My Grade 4-Sinulog advisory class while waiting for their turn to perform in front of the crowd.


In life, I realize that everything happens for a reason and everything really works together for good. I am very thankful for all of the happy, frustrating, and heart felting experiences I had during my first year of teaching. Indeed, it helps me to become better, stronger, and bolder teacher to face a new level of experiences coming on my way while still learning the rope of this profession that I chose. Finally, to my Super Ate in the Teaching Faculty, I owe you a lot and you marked a very significant event in my whole experience in my first year of teaching! J

My Super Ate in the Teaching Family, April Jane D. Fuentes.




Comments

Popular Posts